I am a Norwegian academic who writes about terrorism and jihadism and dabbles in programming. I work as senior research fellow at the Norwegian Defence Research Establishment (FFI) in Oslo. In the menu above you will find links to my publications and other resources. Follow me on Twitter or Github if you like.
- Working paper: “OCR with Tesseract, Amazon Textract, and Google Document AI: A Benchmarking Experiment” (24 June 2021)
- Report chapter: “Gulf States”, in David G. Lewis and Aniseh Bassiri Tabrizi, “Regional Powers and Post-NATO Afghanistan“, NDC Research Paper 20 (Rome: NATO Defence College, June 2021), pp. 57-60.
- R package: dair: OCR with Google Document AI in R (4 March 2021). Released on CRAN 11 June.
- Book review of C. Christine Fair, In Their Own Words: Understanding Lashkar-e Tayyaba, Perspectives on Politics (26 February 2021).
- Book review: The Last Jihadi Superstar, War on the Rocks, 30 October 2020.
- Article: “Weeping in Modern Jihadi Groups“, Journal of Islamic Studies (published 14 September 2020).
- Working paper (with Neil Ketchley): “Measuring Terrorism” (posted 9 September 2020).
- Op-ed: “Why Jihadists Loved America in the 1980s“, The Atlantic, 6 March 2020.
- Book: The Caravan: Abdallah Azzam and the Rise of Global Jihad, Cambridge University Press (published 5 March 2020).