I am a political scientist and historian who studies political violence in the Muslim world, especially that of transnational jihadi groups. I work at Oxford University as a senior fellow of All Souls College. In the menu above you will find links to my publications and other resources. Follow me on Twitter if you like.
- New position: Senior Research Fellow at All Souls College, Oxford University, from 1 October 2022.
- Article: “daiR: an R package for OCR with Google Document AI“, Journal of Open Source Software (21 December 2021).
- Article: “OCR with Tesseract, Amazon Textract, and Google Document AI: a benchmarking experiment“, Journal of Computational Social Science (23 November 2021).
- Article: “Resistance Is Futile: The War on Terror Supercharged State Power“, Foreign Affairs (24 August 2021).
- Book review essay: “Foreign Fighters and Cheese Bells“, Texas National Security Review (2 August 2021).
- Working paper: “OCR with Tesseract, Amazon Textract, and Google Document AI: A Benchmarking Experiment” (24 June 2021).
- Report chapter: “Gulf States”, in David G. Lewis and Aniseh Bassiri Tabrizi, “Regional Powers and Post-NATO Afghanistan“, NDC Research Paper 20 (Rome: NATO Defence College, June 2021), pp. 57-60.
- R package: dair: OCR with Google Document AI in R (4 March 2021). Released on CRAN 11 June.