Thomas Hegghammer (CV) is an academic specialist on violent Islamism. He is currently director of terrorism research at the Norwegian Defence Research Establishment (FFI) in Oslo.
Dr. Hegghammer is the author and co-author of several books, including Jihad in Saudi Arabia (Cambridge 2010), al-Qaida in its own words (Harvard 2008), and The Meccan Rebellion (Amal 2011). He has published widely in academic journals, including the American Political Science Review and International Security. He has testified in the U.S. Congress and British Parliament, written op-eds for the New York Times and al-Sharq al-Awsat, and appeared on CNN's Amanpour and Anderson Cooper shows.
Selected recent publications
- "Assessing the Islamic State’s Commitment to Attacking the West" (with Petter Nesser), Perspectives on Terrorism (5 August 2015)
- Guest edited special issue of Perspectives on Terrorism on Islamic State (5 August 2015)
- Edited Book: Saudi Arabia in Transition, Cambridge University Press (5 March 2015)
- "Norske fremmedkrigere i går og i dag", Norsk statsvitenskapelig tidsskrift (26. november 2014)
- "Will ISIS 'weaponize' foreign fighters?", CNN.com (16 October 2014)
- "Calculated Caliphate", Lawfare Blog, (6 July 2014)
- "Jihadism: Seven Assumptions Shaken by the Arab Spring", Project on Middle East Political Science, 3 February 2014
- "Syria's Foreign Fighters", ForeignPolicy.com (9 December 2013)
- "Abdallah Azzam and Palestine", Die Welt des Islams 53, 3-4 (9 December 2013). Primary sources available here.
- "The Palestine Effect: The Role of Palestinians in the Transnational Jihad Movement "(with Joas Wagemakers), Die Welt des Islams 53, 3-4 (9 December 2013). Primary sources available here.
- "Number of foreign fighters from Europe in Syria is historically unprecedented. Who should be worried?", Washington Post (Monkey Cage Blog), 27 November 2013
Selected interviews and presentations
- "Why Terrorists Weep", Paul Wilkinson Memorial Lecture, University of St Andrews, 16 April 2015
- "5 Questions with Thomas Hegghammer on Jihad and Jihadi Cocktails", War on the Rocks, 7 July 2014
- "Overvåkeren", portrettintervju i A-Magasinet, 19 June 2014
- "Terrorist insider threats to nuclear facilities" (brief video presentation), American Academy of Arts and Sciences, 15 May 2014
- "Trust on Jihadi Internet forums" (podcast interview), The Loopcast, 17 March 2014
- "The Jihadi Spring" (radio interview), BBC Analysis, 16 March 2014
- "Trust on Jihadi Internet forums" (podcast interview), Middle East Week, 12 March 2014
- "European foreign fighters in Syria", transcribed oral testimony, British Parliament, 11 February 2014