Thomas Hegghammer (CV) is an academic specialist on violent Islamism. He is currently director of terrorism research at the Norwegian Defence Research Establishment (FFI) in Oslo.
Dr. Hegghammer is the author and co-author of several books, including Jihad in Saudi Arabia (Cambridge 2010), al-Qaida in its own words (Harvard 2008), and The Meccan Rebellion (Amal 2011). He has published widely in academic journals, including the American Political Science Review and International Security. He has testified in the U.S: Congress and the Canadian Senate, written op-eds for the New York Times and al-Sharq al-Awsat, and appeared on CNN's Amanpour and Anderson Cooper shows.
- "IS og fremmedkrigerne", Romerikes Blad, 31. oktober 2014
- "Will ISIS 'weaponize' foreign fighters?", CNN.com, 16 October 2014
- "Calculated Caliphate", Lawfare Blog, 6 July 2014
- "Ekstreme fremmedkrigere", Forsvarets forum, 24 June 2014
- "Jihadism: Seven Assumptions Shaken by the Arab Spring", Project on Middle East Political Science, 3 February 2014
- "Hvem skal betale for forskning på høyreekstreme?" Forskning.no, (11 January 2014)
- "Syria's Foreign Fighters", ForeignPolicy.com (9 December 2013)
- "Abdallah Azzam and Palestine", Die Welt des Islams 53, 3-4 (9 December 2013). Primary sources available here.
- "The Palestine Effect: The Role of Palestinians in the Transnational Jihad Movement "(with Joas Wagemakers), Die Welt des Islams 53, 3-4 (9 December 2013). Primary sources available here.
- "Number of foreign fighters from Europe in Syria is historically unprecedented. Who should be worried?", Washington Post (Monkey Cage Blog), 27 November 2013
- "The Future of Anti-Western Jihadism", testimony before the House Committee on Foreign Affairs, Subcommittee on Terrorism, Nonproliferation and Trade, Washington, DC (18 July 2013). Video of the hearing available here
- "How Syria's Civil War Became a Holy Crusade" (with Aaron Y. Zelin), ForeignAffairs.com (7 July 2013)
Interviews and presentations
- "5 Questions with Thomas Hegghammer on Jihad and Jihadi Cocktails", War on the Rocks, 7 July 2014
- "Overvåkeren", portrettintervju i A-Magasinet, 19 June 2014
- "Terrorist insider threats to nuclear facilities" (brief video presentation), American Academy of Arts and Sciences, 15 May 2014
- "Trust on Jihadi Internet forums" (podcast interview), The Loopcast, 17 March 2014
- "The Jihadi Spring" (radio interview), BBC Analysis, 16 March 2014
- "Trust on Jihadi Internet forums" (podcast interview), Middle East Week, 12 March 2014
- "European foreign fighters in Syria", transcribed oral testimony, British Parliament, 11 February 2014
- Fulbright Norway - Article of the Year Award, 10 June 2014
Upcoming public talks
- 6 November: Royal Higher Institute for Defence, Brussels, Belgium
- 20 November: University of Melbourne, Australia